Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bountiful Baskets

I published a post about this co-op a while back but I have rediscovered my love for it, AND it has expanded, to UTAH.

This is an example of what we got a few weeks ago:


1 head of lettuce
2 bunches of broccoli
1 head of celery (that I had already cut up)
1 cantaloupe
2 1/2 bags of carrots (that I had already sliced up)
3 squash
8 cucumbers
11 bananas
8 apples
7 oranges
10 plums and
12 apricots.

Now can you guess the price of all of this? $15!!! I don't know what it's like in Utah anymore but that's a steal here. So if you want more info go to bountifulbaskets.org. They try to get 50/50 of fruit and vegetables and they get whatever is in season so you never know what you are going to get which I think makes it a little fun and makes you a little more adventurous. In Utah it's an every other saturday event.

They also sell other things throughout the year. This saturday I am getting a 28 lb box of peaches to can (jams, pie filling, good ole plain peaches, etc) which comes out to about $0.60 a lb! along with a mexican pack to make some salsa. I have gotten apples and peaches from them before to can and they turned out fabulous. We also got our Christmas tree through them.

The Utah sites so far are Bountiful, Brigham City, Clearfield, South Ogden, Pleasant View, Roy, and West Point. They are constantly expanding so with a few emails of interest I am sure they will spread to Provo, SLC, Cedar City, etc. Give it a try and see if it works for your family.

No comments: