Friday, March 13, 2009

Purpose of Mormon Temples

I have heard a lot about the show Big Love and their upcoming episode. This is what I have been able to find about it and obviously I don't know all of the details. I believe this is as accurate as I can get so forgive me if something on here is false, I definitely won't be watching in order to get the accurate picture.

On Sunday, March 15, 2009, HBO will be airing a segment of their Big Love series titled ‘Goin' to the Chapel’. Aided by an ex-Mormon consultant, this episode makes a mockery of the sacred temple ceremonies. There will be a segment of the show that features actors dressed in full temple clothing and will also show replicas of the celestial and endowment rooms and the ceremonies that take place there.

The LDS church has put out a three minute video in response to this episode. I hope you all will watch it and pass on the word. Click here for the link.

I do not consider myself strong in words and able to sway peoples opinions, nor do I desire to do so. I am a person who respects peoples beliefs and hope that they will respect mine even if we do not agree on or understand each others beliefs. I am more than happy to share with people what I know and believe and am going to take this opportunity to share a small portion of that belief. I know some of you checking my blog don't understand my religion and why I chose this path in my life but it is truly the best thing I have ever done.

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. While the people in the religion might be flawed I know the gospel is true and will make us all better people for living it. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I know that Joseph Smith was not the author of the Book of Mormon but that he translated the ancient writings with the help of God. No ordinary man with little education could have created something so complex in so little time. I know that Jesus died for us and that through him we can return to God when we die. I know that we have a living prophet today, Thomas S Monson, and that God speaks to and through him and that we can each receive personal revelation on the truths of these things and other person matters.

I have never been so happy in all my life as I am now, living the church standards. It simplifies my life. I have found a man that I love with my whole heart and who loves me back and we will be with each other in this life and in the next. God has blessed us with a beautiful son that will be ours in this world and in the next. Families can be together forever.

I know that God has led my life down different paths than I would have chosen for myself because he knows better than I do but I have had to do my part in being willing to listen to his promptings and obey them. I know that we are given trials to make us stronger but that we can overcome them.

The temple is a sacred place for us to go to perform sacred ordinaces for ourselves and for the dead just as they did in times of old. For me it is also a place where I can go to think and pray. A place to get away from all of the turmoil going on in the world and feel at peace. A place where I can learn and better understand our purpose here on earth. A place for me to recieve inspiration and revelation on things concerning my life that I may be struggling with. I believe that we are here for a reason, not just to live day by day and make it through. It is a place where I can think about my ancestors and the things they have done for me and to also think of my posterity and what the future holds for them. I do not think that the temple is a "secret" place but that it is simply a "sacred" place.

This is only a small portion of what I feel and believe. I only ask that you respect my beliefs as I will yours. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them and if I can't then I will find someone who is better able to do so.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. It was beautiful to read. I didn't know you were a convert, how long have you been a member?

Lark said...

Honey - very beautifully stated. Love you, Mom