Monday, February 18, 2013

Leighton Olivia Leavitt

This post is long and mostly for me, so read if you want, or just look at the pics!

My due date was January 20th and I have a thing about letting my babies come on "their own", that is until I'm late! So even though my doctor said he would induce me up to a week early I opted to have a scheduled induction for the day after my due date because I was done, but really wanted her to come on her own. Plus I have never had to be induced so I was hopeful that it would just all happen on it's own. It didn't!

I was scheduled for 5am on the 21st, and knew that I could get bumped back or even canceled which had me worried since Greg's wonderful brother and sister-in-law, Brad and Ashley, took our kiddos the night before. So I started calling at 3 am to see if we were still on and up until 4:30 they didn't know. At 4:30 they told me no, and that they would call me when I could come. I was bummed. I manage to fall asleep and then of course at 5:15 they called to tell me that if I could be there by 6 then they would start me. So we got there at 6 and spent at least a half hour getting checked in, and by 7 was in a room. The nurse putting in my IV was HORRIBLE! She couldn't get it in and kept trying to force it. The mixture of morning sickness and my hatred of all things needle related, plus the pain she was inflicting, led to me all but passing out. To keep me from passing out she waved one of those awesome amonia sticks in my face which really did me in. I'll spare you the details! So about 45 minutes later a different nurse was able to get the IV in on her first attempt. At 8:45 they started the pitocin. I had heard horror stories about the intensity of it, but truthfully for me it was the same as going into labor naturally. It might have helped that I was already having regular, but small contractions. At 10 or so the doctor came in and broke my water. At 11 I decided I wasn't ready to try for a natural birth thanks to the drama of having Kenzington, so I asked for the epidural. The doctor came in at 12:20 and after 3 big pushes and 2 little ones, Leighton Olivia joined the world.

She weighed 7 lbs 13 oz, and was 20 in. She had dark brown hair, and more of it than either of our others which made me happy! The next thing I noticed was that she had ridiculously long fingers compared to her hands. I think it was Greg's first comment too! They are very long and skinny, freakishly so.

 
Luckily there were no complications this go around, and Brad and Ashley brought the kids over after dinner. Kenzington wanted nothing to do with me which I was prepared for, since Axton had had the same reaction when she was born. Something about hospital gowns and IVs freak my kids out (and most others too).
 
 

Greg went home with the kids and so it was just the baby and I which was a first. I thought I'd end up sending her to the nursery for the night, but I felt really good physically so I opted to keep her and all was well.

The next day Greg came for a few hours in the morning while his amazing sister Kim watched the kids. It was nice to have some adult interaction even if most of it was him on the phone for work! He then left to take Axton to preschool and put Kenzington down for a nap. We agreed he'd come back after Axton got home and that's when I would be able to leave too.

As it turned out Leighton was right on the border of having to stay for jaundice which had me bummed, I hate hospitals and couldn't wait to get out of there and back to life. I was bored with tv after a day and ready to be busy again. Luckily the pediatrician agreed to let us leave as long I would bring her in to see him in the next day or two. Kenzington finally came to me once I was dressed and "normal" looking, but she still preferred to be with Greg! I think Axton hates hospitals as much as we do because when we got in the car to go home he said he wasn't feeling well and was going to throw up. He got really pale to. But by the time we got home he was back to his normal self and said he felt fine thankfully (I have the same reaction every time I go to a hospital).



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats, she is super cute!