Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cooking (and canning)

Cooking Update:

So this month I was trying to increase my cooking skills and abilities. I would give myself an A on learning new things but only a C on cooking on a regular basis. Thank you to those who gave me new recipes. We didn't try a whole lot of new recipes because this month turned into a crazy month with visitors and going out of town, etc. But I did try a few new recipes.

Kim gave me her wonderful Honey Oat Bread recipe and the third time was a charm. The first 2 times it tasted fine but it didn't rise like it should have. Finally I got it to work and I think the secret is definately using the bread machine on the dough cycle. The first 2 times I tried to do it by hand because my "stolen" bread machine (thanks mom) doesn't work so great.

The other thing I learned was canning using the water-bath method. I got a ton of Utah peaches for really cheap and decided to can some of them and also make freezer jam. I think it was a success, I guess we'll find out in a few months if we get sick from eating them. Which is also why I didn't give anyway, I would feel horrible if someone got some that didn't seal right or who knows what. So until I get more confident at it I will only subject my immediate family to it!

(only a small portion of what I did)

My next goal: Exercise!!

My sister-in-law Kim and I have started trading off babysitting in the mornings so we can workout in the gym at our apartment complex. It has been great for everyone. Kim and I get to workout and feel better about ourselves and keep the body that God gave us healthy while the kids get to play with each other in different environments and start learning social skills. The other great thing is that we don't have to wake up extra early which most people, especially me, hate!

I would post before and after pictures but that would be really scary. Although a great motivator, it's not going to happen. I guess we'll see how this along with cooking goes over the next month.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow, you're impressive. I should take some notes... ;)

Lark said...

Honey - everything looks so delicious!! I'm proud of you - so domestic these days. I'm pretty sure you're mine . . . yes, you are definetly mine! :0) Mom

Keri Hennefer said...

I'm just going to start calling you Martha Stewart! Good work on all of the homemaking skills!

Unknown said...

Hey lady you still need to tell me the name of the fruit and produce people again. Of course I always forget : ). Oh yeah I did not know that you had a canner?