Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Projects

This summer has been crazy busy for us, hence the lack of posts and major catching up to do. We were gone at least half of the summer and just finished our last trip. Hopefully we'll only leave 1-2 more times for the rest of the year. But I'll just start with the oldest pictures on our camera and work our way through them over the next few days, or weeks!

In August I was really tired of the set up in our toy room. When we moved in their were some extra bathroom cabinets in the garage so me trying to be thrifty kept them and moved them into the toy room. Biggest problem, they didn't hold much because of the lack of space and shelves, 2 of the 6 drawers didn't open, and 1 more drawer was missing the bottom of it, so unusable too. Plus it collected a bunch of random stuff on the counter. Then when we bought the new couch our old ones got put in the toy room until we got rid of them, so there was very little space left. We cleared it all out and I asked Greg to build shelves on either side of the entrance so the toys would be hidden from the view of the living room. He doubted me at first but I think he was very impressed with how it looks. We painted them dark brown to match our living room and still need to add baseboards so that they flow with the walls. They are so much sturdier than anything we could have bought and in the end, were cheaper too!







Don't mind all of the clowns. I have collected them since I was little and finally after 5+ years was able to get them out of the boxes and find them a somewhat permanent home. I am afraid when the toy room gets converted to an office, many years down the road, that most of them will have to go bye-bye since I'm just not that into them, and they creep out the guests!

The other project for the toyroom, we did a week later and Greg refuses to build anything else for a while, was a table for Axton. You see the train tables and stuff that cost over $200 and I just couldn't do it. Plus we bought Axton this little town set 2 years ago that the base is a puzzle. So we built the table to it's measurements, about 4 1/2 x 5 feet. It's pretty big, and only cost us $50 to make! Once again this thing is sturdy! Axton loves it and we have since bought a couple of chairs from IKEA to go with it.




I love the toyroom, if only we could keep it clean now!

No comments: